Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tebow's First Superbowl Appearance

While I may be one of the only people in America who did not watch the Super Bowl last night, my roommate did beckon me downstairs when Tim Tebow’s commercial aired. And I was mildly disappointed at how ambiguous the spot was. I suppose the ad had received so much publicity before the game that I expected an ultra-controversial message, driving the point that abortion should be banned. However, the spot merely alludes to the fact that Mrs. Tebow’s doctors had suggested that she abort Tim due to medical reasons, but that she refused. She called him her “miracle baby.” And then he tackled her to the floor.

I actually thought it was very appropriate and cute -- but I would like to have seen a little more emphasis on the message that abortions should be made illegal in America. For the amount of money spent running that commercial, you think that there should be a little more oomph to it. At the end of the spot, the Tebows told viewers that they could go online to Focus on the Family’s website for the full story.

Interested in seeing what the press thought about the advertisement, I scoured AdAge.com this morning and came across an ad titled “WWJD? He’d Skip Most of This Year’s Super Bowl Ads” by Bob Garfield. The article says, “Seriously, have you not noticed that Jesus gets as many plugs as the Monday night prime-time lineup?” I was so excited to read that line. It’s true -- I always get so excited when I see prayer circles before games, or when you read bible verses written on players’ cheeks. Or even better, when you have sweet quarterbacks like Colt McCoy thank Jesus for his victory after a game. It is a beautiful and moving thing to see Christianity displayed in such a highly publicized industry. Both Colt and Sam Bradford are featured on www.IamSecond.com, which is a website devoted to celebrities discussing their faith and how they are second in life to Jesus.

Anyways, I thought that the Tebow spot was innocent enough, and I hope that all of the controversy surrounding the ad dies quickly. I know that a lot of Americans dislike Tim (the author of the article said he was “pro-TiVo” but I think that he seems so genuine and I like him a lot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment