Thursday, March 18, 2010

Will the iPad Revive the Magazine Industry?

Magazine industry execs met today to discuss the future of this dying segment of print publication, given the advent of the iPad and other e-readers. While only a small handful of magazines latched onto Amazon's Kindle, the biggest electronic reader to date, the new color feature of Apple's iPad has magazine corporations signing up to deliver their content on the newest gadget.


One of the biggest concerns with charging users to receive a magazine subscription to their eReader is that the content that is currently available on the magazine's website for free is too similar to the information in the print issue. If consumers who are already using the website as their dominant means of accessing information, it is unlikely that they will pay a subscription fee to receive the issue to their eReader if they do not think that there is a substantial difference in the free and paid versions.


Given that it is my spring break, I have finally gotten around to reading for pleasure again, not just for my Finance or Ethics class. I just recently started to follow my favorite author, Karen Kingsbury, on Twitter, and two nights ago she sent out a tweet that said her book "Take One", which I've been dying to read for ages, was available for free on the Kindle. Both of my parents have Kindles, so I instantly went to the Kindle store and downloaded the book. It was incredible -- so fast and so easy (and SO free!). I have nearly finished the entire book, and I have absolutely loved reading on the Kindle. I've played around with it before, but never read a book. I will be the first to admit that I was a naysayer when eReaders were first introduced to the market, but now I'm sold. I am pretty excited about getting to hold an iPad in my hands, and I really think that I would be easily persuaded into buying magazines on this new, colorful reading device. I'm not sure how proud I should be to admit this, but People Magazine is my absolute favorite magazine of all time, and I currently read the print version, use the iPhone app, and scour the website if I have a free moment. Since I am about to graduate, and with a job in consulting will be traveling quite a bit, I plan on buying a Kindle or an iPad to keep with me in my journeys. I think that reading magazines on one of these eReaders will be very enjoyable. This is one of the future pieces of technology and changes in the industry that I am openly embracing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment