Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bye, Bye Betty!

Last night was the final episode of "Ugly Betty", and although I have not had time to watch it yet, I am sad nonetheless. I am not a huge TV fan and never have been. However, this isn't to say that I haven't ever had favorite TV shows, because I certainly have. Generally there is one show that I will make time to watch. In the summertime, it's "So You Think You Can Dance", and in the past I've DVRed "Biggest Loser" and "The City". My most favorite, favorite show of the last five years has been, without a doubt, "Ugly Betty." I love everything about it -- especially the comedic timing and the show's flamboyant, exaggerated characters, my favorite being Marc St. James. Coupling Becki Newton, Michael Urie, America Ferrera, Ana Ortiz, Mark Indelicato, Eric Mabius, and Vanessa Williams was a beautiful, brilliant idea, and I cannot believe that their run together is over. This was one race I never wanted to end.

I almost want to postpone watching the last show for as long as possible, as if that perhaps makes the finale less real. At the same time, I have been reading glorious reviews about how everything ends on a happy note, and that audiences are left feeling optimistic about Betty's future in the fashion world. In the recent episodes, Betty's braces have come off, her hair has become less frizzy, and her botched fashion sense has developed into a more cohesive, stylish mess. She's more confident, more... fearless. Proof? "Maybe you're thinking of the old Betty, because the new Betty is fearless. Look, no bangs!" Wait, you mean that Betty isn't ugly after all? Shocking, I know.

When TV shows end, I always worry about the cast of the show. What is next for this bunch? I'm not sure, but they are all so talented, and I am positive that good things will come to them. I must admit, I'm not sure that I am ready for Michael Urie to be anyone other than Marc St. James -- he is fantastic as that character. Marc and Amanda's zingers will be missed for sure -- "I swear on the abs of Mark Wahlberg", says Marc. "Wow, you are serious," quips Amanda.

Last night, "Ugly Betty" became a top trending topic on Twitter for the first time -- where was the support all along the road? Was there nothing we could do to save the show? I suppose that I will have to accept the reality sooner or later, and bid the show farewell. Bye, bye Betty!

0 comments:

Post a Comment