Thursday, April 1, 2010

Product Placement in TV Show? Try TV Placement in Product's Show

During my workout this morning, I watched the most recent episode of "Modern Family" and was pretty surprised when the opening scene revolved around Phil Dunphy, one of the show's main characters, requesting none other than an iPad for his birthday. The rest of the show developed into a big plot to get Phil this coveted new gadget for his birthday, starting with his wife's sleeping in and getting to the Apple store too late to catch one of the first shipments. Normally there are a few different, evenly weighed plot lines going on; however, this week the focus really on the quest for the iPad. The show climaxed when Phil finally gets the iPad into his hands, and all of the characters are standing around "ooh"ing and "ahh"ing at the majestic nature of Apple's newest device. All riled up, Phil declares, "Touch it! But don't touch it!!"


The iPad wasn't just "placed" into this episode of "Modern Family" -- it was truly an iPad commercial. Phil even went so far as to say, "It's like Steve Jobs and God got together to say, 'We love you, Phil.'"


Wow. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Half of me wants to say "Touché Apple" and the other half is a little repulsed by how desperate the entire show seemed. If I found out that Apple had NOTHING to do with the show, then maybe I would think it was more humorous. After all, most "modern families" probably have THAT person who is dying to get their hands on the iPad.


All in all, I still love "Modern Family" and I still want an iPad, so no harm done. But maybe a little more subtlety next time, please?

0 comments:

Post a Comment