Monday, April 12, 2010

Drive One, Says Ford, Our... Employees Do?

I feel like I have been seeing Ford advertisements everywhere recently -- kudos to their marketing department, they should get a big high five. Perhaps they are trying to capitalize on Toyota's woes and launch themselves far ahead of this competitor? Or maybe they just want to tout all of the new snazzy features that their recent models have to offer. My little sister just got a new Escape -- I drove it for the first time last weekend and loved it. Ford really does pay attention to details, such as removing the gas cap and having a more streamlined way to fill up on gas, a process that I strongly dislike.


Ine of the most prevalent campaigns that I have been seeing on TV, Hulu, and internet sites is the "Ford: Drive One" initiative, created by WPP's JWP Team Detroit. The ads have long intrigued me due to the fact that the seem to feature "real people" talking about their favorite features of the car. A qualm I have with the commercials is the fact that none of the statements made by the individuals seem very genuine. The group of good looking "everyday Ford drivers" seem so rehearsed, like their lines have been fed directly to them. And hey, I'm sure they have been. That's what commercials are, right? The number of takes needed to direct and film the short 15-second spots was probably pretty high, which is fine. The thing that frustrates me is Ford's determination to make the campaign so believable, going right now to the shaky camera style to give the ads the viral YouTube feel.


Interested in who these real Ford drivers were, I went online and did some research, learning more about Team Detroit and the campaign in general. Low and behold, these authentic Ford customers are also Ford employees -- who would have guessed? I understand the logic in using "their own", yet it feels sort of deceptive, like there should be fine print along the bottom that reads "Ford Employees". After all, when actors are used to endorse other products, there is the same tiny text that runs along the bottom of the screens, and who's to say that they haven't ever used the good they are selling? The supposed difference is that they are being paid to tell the world how much they love the brand, but isn't that just what Ford is doing?


With all of this said, I truly do not hate the ads. I think they are short, sweet, and convey a memorable, overlying thematic message -- Ford drivers really do adore their cars. I just wish that they could have found Ford drivers who are not receiving paychecks from Ford Motor Co. to tell us how much they like driving the whole Ford experience. All you need to do to know this is read the comments on YouTube for the different ads, like MarkerDude (really?) who said "Great spot! Ford has really improved... Best car company in America!" Clearly he is not from around here, because he'd be singing another jingle -- common, you know I have to..."Ford is the best in Texas."


Becky Just LOVES Her Ford

0 comments:

Post a Comment