Friday, April 9, 2010

iCan't Believe It's Taken This Long

At the keynote speech yesterday, Apple unveiled one of their newest additions to the iProduct category - iAd. As Steve Jobs continues his global domination strategy, he moves into one space he had yet to pioneer until recently, advertising. During the presentation, Jobs described the new advertising network, which will help app developers create higher quality, engaging advertisements that allow users to click on the ad without having to leave the app, since it is played on the OS itself. Jobs also mentioned that the average iPhone user spends 30 minutes a day on their iPhone applications -- which is an incredible amount of time for an average. Although I love to play Words with Friends, I definitely do not spend 30 minutes a day doing so. I would love to see how long the average consumer spends making dinner, because it is probably more like 3 minutes in the microwave -- just sayin'.


The new iAd platform will have the capability to serve over 1 billion ad impressions per day, which like Steve Jobs said, is "an incredible demographic." Apple's foray into advertising will allow developers to get 60% of the revenue from the ads within their applications. This figure seems reasonable enough, but I guess I feel that they should get more like 75% of the money, but I am sure that there is a "reasonable" explanation for the cut.


The iAd was announced in conjunction with the revealing of the iPhone OS 4, which is being positioned as the PSN or Xbox Live of the iPhone community. This operating system will allow gamers to tap into a centralized network where gamers can play against each other -- very interactive, which makes sense, given that the top downloaded apps are games, and that the most successful games had been those which you can play with other iPhone users. It looks like my iPhone Original 1.0 will need to be updated soon, not only because I will now be 3 models behind, but also because of the number of people that send me picture messages that I never get due to the lack of that functionality. Why the iPhone did not always have this feature from the get-go, I will never understand.


MacBooks, iPads, iMacs, iPhones, iTunes, iPods, and now iAd. My prediction for the future? Say hello to Steve Jobs and goodbye to Obama - Apple is going to take over the world. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment